WHO WE ARE
The South Seattle Climate Action Network is a community of concerned citizens who seek to stop the climate crisis and win climate justice by community building, persuading our elected officials, and partnering with allied organizations. We work with our South Seattle city, county, state and federal elected representatives to support meaningful environmental and climate legislation, and to promote a sustainable and equitable future for our people and the planet.
- A just and thriving community in South Seattle for all residents and businesses.
- A local economy that serves the needs of people and nature first.
- The elimination of disproportionate impacts of economic activity and environmental degradation on people because of their age, income, race, gender, religion, or national origin.
WHAT WE DO
- We work with local groups and leaders and state to win national, state and local economic, environmental and social justice issues and policies.
- We use the tools of community organizing, political advocacy, information sharing, collaboration, and networking.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
- We consider climate change to be one of the primary moral challenges of our times.
- We believe all citizens have an duty to contribute to prevent and ameliorate this existential challenge.
- We believe in the power of grassroots organizing to create the necessary momentum to deal with this challenge.
- We believe that the needs of those who are most vulnerable must be prioritized and that our work needs to be grounded in climate justice. We appreciate the guidance and wisdom of other social justice organizations.
- We acknowledge the pre-eminent role of science in dictating carbon reduction targets.